Montag, 12. März 2007

Paint it black... - wait, let's get some colours!!!

As I said earlier on: Spring is coming. Even I feel it now. The flowers begin to bloom and I started painting with my computer...

After a few rather embarrassing attempts I tried repainting one of my favourite airplanes in flight simulator again. The plane is an old Saab 91 Saphir, built in Sweden shortly after WWII: http://www.sibwings.com/freeware/repaint/ebed.jpg

It's not as easy as it may sound, since you can't just copy one or two photos into the repaint template. Another tricky thing is the alpha-channel. A repaint template is basically a 24-bit bitmap, and attached to it is as 8-bit black&white picture that tells the model in flight simulator how shiny the airplane should be, where the windows are and other important stuff that I don't understand too well either. This is called the alpha-channel.

And exactly this alpha-channel trapped me. Of course the paint looks good, but it's way too shiny. Actually it looks like it's covered with gelatine... Since the Saphir's been built way back in the 40's and 50's it looks a bit out of place.

But hey, we're living in the internet-age, and the producer of the sim-airplane has got a very good forum and I'm sure I'll find a proper solution for the problem.

1 Kommentar:

Unknown hat gesagt…

I say bring on the photos of it. ;-) Makes it all the more interesting.