Dienstag, 26. Juni 2007

What's your password?

We all have passwords. I believe, most of us enter at least one password a day anywhere on a computer. Be it for online-banking, email-accounts or just simply our favourite newsgroup or forum. There's nothing really about that, it's normal for us, daily life.

How do we chose these passwords? I have several email-accounts, of which I use one for personal contacts, another one for online-shopping. Further accounts are used for trash, registering software where I expect spam mail sent to. For the latter of course I don't use high-security passwords, these are the simple ones. For my homepage, personal email-account and financial stuff I have a set of passwords that I've created for high security.

But here comes the point I actually wanted to get to today: PC Magazine recently published the hitlist of the most commonly used passwords in the internet. If you are using any of these log off the internet immediately, go take two Aspirins and use the site linked further down or install this addon for Firefox.

1. password
2. 123456
3. qwerty
4. abc123
5. letmein
6. monkey
7. myspace1
8. password1
9. blink182
10. (your first name)

It's hard to believe, but it's true: Number One is the word 'password'. I never thought there are so many pitiable fellas around that actually follow every word on the screen: 'Enter password' - so they enter 'password'... ;-)

It's no surprise then that number two and three are '123456' and 'qwerty'. The first real surprise comes further down: I didn't think (your first name) is ranked higher than the name of the partner/girlfriend/boyfriend or family members. And by the way: 'password1' is ranked quite high as well. A free lesson for all hackers then: When you cracked one site with (username) and 'password', try the next one with (same username) and 'password1', 'password2', 'password3'.

Just in case I've worried you now: Here are some links for a password-generator (in best German language...) and a password-checker, and that's all for free. I know, the checker-tool is from Microsoft, but don't we all trust Mr. Gates' concern for internet security? ;-)))

And tomorrow morning I request a new password for my pc at work. ;-)

3 Kommentare:

Unknown hat gesagt…

Hello.
Those are good tips, and you links a couple of good tools. But, of course, good strong passwords are hard to remember if you have more than three of them. These are the steps I often suggest to folks with many different accounts to log into:

1. Choose a good password manager.

2. Fill it up with your current passwords.

3. Take some time change all of your "reused" passwords into strong ones using the built in password generator.

When you need a login, just look it up.

I've written a guide that'll walk you through all these steps:
http://passpack.wordpress.com/2007/04/16/passpack-instructions-getting-started/

You can store all sort of things, not just logins: confirmation numbers, registration numbers, software keys, emergency support phone numbers, frequent flyer miles, codes, notes, or even just some links that you'd like to keep private.

This is why we call PassPack a "Privacy Manager", instead of simply "Password Manager" - it's a like a private vault, secure organizer and password manager rolled into one.

Cheers,
Tara
PassPack Founding Partner
http://www.passpack.com

Unknown hat gesagt…

I just find this very funny! I've heard of these funny passwords before. None of which I use of course...

Miss your posts, but it's also been a while since I've read any blogs!

I need more input on how to make a good espresso coffee (like the ones your parents have). We keep getting coffee grinds...

PFlight2000 hat gesagt…

I was very busy lately, so I didn't really have time to write any posts. Things will calm down here in about 2 weeks. I think I will write some more then.