Freitag, 7. August 2009

PFlight in Alsace

Let's face the facts: A mobile home is a convenient way to spend your holiday on a camping ground. You fill the car with all the stuff you think you might need, like clothes, food, drinks, toiletry, laptop, camera, bicycle, etc, etc, and then you drive to the camping of your choice. If you're lucky enough they have still some place for your vehicle, so you park it, plug in the electricity, turn on the gas for the kitchen, and there you go. Happy camping!

So far, so good. Now, in my case the car was 5.5 meters long, 2 meters wide and 2.3 meters high. The camping ground wasn't the problem. BUT: Imagine you have to drive that thing somewhere because you want to see some of the beautiful cities in the area! I drove over to the beautiful region of Alsace in France, so the plan was to visit Strasbourg for the European Parliament and of course the huge cathedral, and to visit also Colmar for the famous altar of Isenheim, painted by Matthias Grunewald. Believe it or not: I didn't find any parking place in either city where you can park a car higher than 2 meters for longer than 2 hours!!! And if you park there, you really get ripped off! In Colmar these parkings cost twice the price for a normal car parking...

In Strasbourg I parked the car for two hours, rushed for the cathedral for a couple of pictures, rushed back to the car and left the city in frustration. In Colmar I didn't even park, I was so frustrated after searching for a parking for more than an hour, so I left the city without having even really stopped.

I ended up in Mulhouse that day, at the National Car Museum with the huge 'Collection Schlumpf'. I'll tell you more about that later.

At least I spent two wonderful evenings in the beautiful village of Ribeauville. But the short trip left a bit of a bad taste after what I've experienced. One tends to think 'what do you expect from a land where they eat snails and frogs', but that's unfair since my parents experienced the same in Germany and Spain with the very car.

Here are some pics:

A stork walking around in the camping Pierre de Coubertin in Ribeauville
Von Elsass

Dramatic lighting by a nearing thunderstorm in Ribeauvile
Von Elsass

Ruined castle in the distance
Von Elsass

After the thunderstorm
Von Elsass

The next evening showed 25°C and sunshine
Von Elsass

The famous Metzger tower in Ribeauville
Von Elsass

Beautifully lit house: The light comes from the fassade of the next house, which is also painted yellow
Von Elsass

Full moon rising - some of you might know a similar scene, seen about a year ago in West Van
Von Elsass

The giant Munster of Strasbourg - unbelieveable how they managed to build this a couple of hundred years ago!
Von Elsass

The entrance with the huge round window above it
Von Elsass

Beautiful old house next to the cathedral. It's a restaurant now.
Von Elsass
That's it, hope you liked the pics! Pictures of the Collection Schlumpf and the story to that museum follows later.

5 Kommentare:

Unknown hat gesagt…

Now liked is an understatement! I absolutely loved the photos, all of them and they made my heart thump with excitement seeing places that I had visited in the past and REALLY want to visit again in the future.

I know that I simply could spend a few days relaxing and photographing as you did.

Here's another idea with the bad parking woes, park outside the city and try to ride the bus? OR take a cab? I know cabs might be pricey but how else can one stop?? OR Bike into town???

All in all, with all of your frustrations, you made me smile so I think it was worth the trip. Maybe next time it can be with P and I!

Unknown hat gesagt…

or the train!

P. hat gesagt…
Dieser Kommentar wurde vom Autor entfernt.
P. hat gesagt…

'what do you expect from a land where they eat snails and frogs'

The invention of the French Fry cancels out the bad Karma they might get from also eating amphibians and their slimy friends.

Although I must admit I do love escargot and cuisses de grenouilles. Yummy!

PFlight2000 hat gesagt…

ET: Of course I could have went to the city by public transport. But I went to Alsace by car because I didn't want to use PT. Everybody tells you how touristy that country is, and then you experience this. Of course I also understand the reason: They don't want gipsies in the parkings.

P: It's not that I don't like snails and frogs, I just never had it - and I'm not only a bit reluctant to try. In my 'wild' years I once collected enough money for a 5-course meal from students that I lead through southern France by bycicle by eating a huge grasshopper. ;)