Donnerstag, 13. März 2008

Bushpilots

A bushpilot returns from a hop to an international airport. His friend asks him: 'Their runways must be pretty long, as I heard.' - 'Long? Not particularly. But WIIIIIIDE!!!' Obviously he landed sideways...

I came across a series of DVD made by a pilot named Greg Miller and some of his friends. So far I thought I knew what bushpilots are capable of. The two DVD's tought me better... These guys land their highly modified airplanes in places I thought not even helicopter-pilots would get their vehicles in! And not only that: With their huge tundra tires they touch down on the water and let the plane roll out on the bank of very small rivers. 150 feet is enough to get airbourne, and turns during take-off or landing aren't a problem. Also the DVD's show that a real bush-plane has the main wheels in front and the wing on the roof. Low wings and tricycle landing gears are for pussies...

Landing in these places requires full control of the airplane. Knowing exactly where it begins, where it ends, and of course: Knowing what the aircraft will do next.

Greg and his friends show great skill controlling throttle and brakes when landing on river-banks with rocks as big as a medicine ball. With 44" low-pressure tires and self-designed heavy-duty gear struts they manage to bring the airplane to a stop upright - this is true skill.

I can't embed the teasers here, so please watch them here:

Big Rock & Long Props - Volume 1
Big Rock & Long Props - Volume 2 - Waterplay

Volume 3 is planed to be released by end of April. I'll be one of the first to buy!!!

Thanks Greg, you caused me sitting in front of my television, unable to close my mouth for two hours!

1 Kommentar:

Unknown hat gesagt…

Sounds like me and camera equipment.. You know they have some flight sim here as a business now...

I'd rather take an awesome flight in the real thing over BC instead.